• Menu: Friday

    Thursday, November 25, 2010



    Well Friends this is the end of my cooking week. In this house we celebrate the weekend with ‘Friday Night Pizza’ (a staple Milner tradition.) We also watch a movie together as a family and enjoy what ever ended up in my ‘Friday Tin’. We enjoy greeting the weekend in this way. I generally avoid cooking on weekends either by preparing foods ahead of time or eating leftovers. It is a nice little break for me.

    I make my dough out of whole-wheat flour. It is the same recipe I make my bread from. Fridays I whip up a double batch. Which makes three loaves and one deep-dish pizza crust. I will give you the single recipe; it makes two loaves of bread or two-pizza crust.

    Bread

    4 ½ tsp. yeast
    2 cups warm water
    2 tbsp. sugar (I use honey)
    ½ cup olive oil
    1 tsp. Salt
    5-6 cups flour

    1) Dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Make sure your yeast gets foamy.
    2) Add the sugar, oil and salt to your mixing bowl. Pour in the dissolved yeast.
    3) Mix one cup at a time of the flour. Because I use whole-wheat flour I add less flour. When replacing whole-wheat for all-purpose flour, reduce the amount slightly. This will help in not having such heavy bread. It will make for stickier dough so be prepared. Oil up you hands and surface well!
    4) Let the dough rise until double. Punch down and let rise again. Punch down again. Cut the dough into two equal parts. Shape into loaves and let rise until double. If you are making a pizza crust oil a cookie sheet spread the dough out and put your toppings on. I often make extra crust and freeze them. It is handy having pizza crust in the freezer to whip out when ever a quicke meal is needed.
    5) I put tomato sauce, some pre-made marinade chicken, red onions, tomatoes and basil or anything else I may be fancying. I top with a white cheese.
    6) Let the crust puff up. Bakes at 350 until the sides are golden brown, about 20-30 minutes.
    7) If you have made bread, bake your bread until the tops are golden brown, to test if the bread is done gently knock on the top, if it sounds like a door. It is done.

    Bon appetite

    Rosaleen