• Rhythms of Wisdom

    Thursday, April 17, 2014

     
     
    ~
    Here in these northern woods we are witnessing the great miracle of spring, her gentle eruptions, over night the dawn birds have returned to sing their awaking beauty, the ice is trickling and life is coming back. We notice something more each day, we cannot keep up with the unfurling of this season.
    ~


    ~
    Through those long winter months I agonised, even grieved of the idealism of my expectations for nature study, a core in the Charlotte Mason approach to education. Each of us got weary of journaling the grays and whites of winter, life around us lay dormant. I was filled with concern over the few entries my students made in their nature journals. I felt we had missed the point, the very heart of this educational system I believe so fully in.

    ~
     
    ~
    All of these long months as winter's scape stretch simple and silent my mind was busy, wondering at the ideals and my fallen expectation. I read the articles, the writings and studies, alarm bells ringing over the loss of childhood and the disassociation a whole generation has with nature. There are labels and dysfunctions rearing up in the over-privileged under-nurtured children of the western world.  
     
    ~


    ~
    My husband fills in the blanks of my concern when he tells me of the recent hires he makes for the company he works for. These university educated, multiple degree holders, accolades from the most prestigious private schools, high GPA's and on a resume it is a managers dream to have such educated employees... right?
     He tells me it is not so.
     For the institutionalized brilliance lack one critical ability, to think for themselves, to associate and problem solve when a text book no longer has answers. How does a manager teach an overly educated young adult to think for himself, to awake problem solving and move beyond formulated thinking?
    ~

    ~
    He says he now hires the farmers sons and young who have a natural interest in life. In interviews he chats about summers on the coast or hiking the Rockies, or building homes on a continent of hot red earth, about putting up hay in the long stretch of prairie summers. Because it's the ones who have tasted life and lived through experience that can make critical decisions in an office.
    Who contribute.
     
    ~
     
     
     
     ~

    An ancient king, won the heart of God. He was called a man after God's heart.

    What a Holy Honour.

    He was a murderer, adulterer, he watched his children turn away from the God he so loved.
    I have wondered in light of the faults of this king, what was it that brought such a blessed complement from Heaven?
    Could it be his understanding of God's majesty displayed though nature?
     
    The great King David's poetry, prayers, Psalms all reference nature.
     
    He knew the God of nature and he saw His majestic touch swept over this earth.

    All the miraculous details.
    ~
     

    ~
    As an educator I want to lead my students to this God and his beauty in our world.
    Not through texts and fill in the blanks, but with a true inquisitive spirit.
    That's what lay dormant all winters long.
    As a mama and teacher I worried.

    But the God of grace lead me to see that spring indeed comes.

    I can be assured God's seasons are filled with wisdom if I am willing to lean into their rhythms.
    With spring my students natural interest are awakening,
     
     there is not enough time to keep up with their inquires and excitement!

    ~
     
    ~
    Why did I worry?
     
     
    And so I step back, humbled, realizing yet again that so much of my journey is about learning to become masterly inactive.

    Lean always more into the rhythms of God's gentle wisdom.
    ~