• The Kitchen: Trim Healthy Mama Pumpkin Muffins (sugar & grain free)

    Thursday, April 3, 2014

     
    ~
    Before we leave the kitchen can I share a little goodness that has been a nice companion to my mid-day coffee oasis.
    I have mentioned here before that I have been sugar free for this whole pregnancy! This has been such a gift, my energy has been stable, my moods even and I have gained only a healthy amount of weight. I believe these benefits have come because I have been sugar free. One of the main recourses that have helped guide this journey is the Trim Healthy Mama approach. I have made many of the desert and baking recipes from this book, I have liked many of them but this one really hit the spot with my cravings... pumpkin... who knew you could crave that?
    These muffins have a lovely yellow colour that leads in the memory of spring,
    yet the aromas of pumpkin and spice fill your home with the warmth still needed in these northern woods.
    I 'mostly' fallowed the Easy Peazy Cinnamon Muffin recipe on pg#262, I made the pumpkin version from pg.# 264. I adapted the sweetener amount from 12 tsp. down to 5 tsp., and I added 1/2 cup crushed walnuts. I also mixed half flax meal with half almond flour.
    Easy Peazy Pumpkin Muffins (S-Snack)
    Wet Directions
    Into blender put 5 eggs.
    3/4 cup and 1 Tbs. water
    3 Tbs. oil (coconut)
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1/3 cup pumpkin puree
    Blend well for 20 seconds.
    Dry Directions
    2 cups golden flax meal ( I used 1 cup flax meal and 1 cup almond flour)
    1 tsp. baking powder and 1 tsp. baking soda
    2 tsp. cinnamon
    1 tsp. each of nutmeg and allspice
    12 tsp. Truvia (I used only 5 tsp.)
    Mix your wet and dry ingredients. Let mixture sit for five minutes on counter top. Place in greased muffin pan and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
    ~
     
    ~
     
    Pumpkin Whipped Topping
    For the topping I combined a few ideas for a icing-whip
    In a mixing bowl place
    8 oz. Light cream cheese
    1/3 cup pumpkin puree
    1/2 tsp. vanilla
    2 tsp truvia (or to personal taste)
    Whip together until fluffy
    add and gently whip in
    1/2 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
    Cover the cooled muffins with this topping, and for a dramatic and tasteful flourish I sprinkled with a little cinnamon sweetener (truvia and cinnamon mixed like cinnamon sugar)
     
    This recipe is clean nutrition, healthy and very satisfying!
    Enjoy
    ~