• The Taste of Comfort

    Thursday, February 3, 2011

    Sometimes life needs a little home made comfort...



    Like a good bowl of tomato soup and warm bread! This week has been a bit tumultuous, Roger has been away, though he has returned much to my delight! My Mother has had a few post operation complications. I guess I needed something warm to fill my moments. This tomato soup is delicious and easy to make. I am going to 'play around' with the ingredients, so you may get a updated version at a later date. I am also working on perfecting my whole wheat bread recipe. I am hoping to find a way to make fluffy non-crumbly whole wheat bread...when I have found the missing key I will share my attempts.

    ~

    Tomato Soup

    Tomatoes: 8 medium fresh or (equivalently 4 cups of canned diced tomatoes)
    Butter: 2 tbsp
    Onion: 1 small (grated or finely chopped)
    Flour: 2 tbsp ( or any thickening agent)
    Tomato Paste or sauce: 4 tbsp
    Broth: 2 cup
    Salt: 1/4 tsp (or according to your taste)
    Black Pepper: 1/4 tsp (or according to your taste)
    Dried Basil: 2 tbsp, or 2 tablespoon fresh basil or parsley, finely chopped

    Directions:

    1. Skip this step if you are using canned diced tomatoes. Otherwise, boil water in a medium size saucepan. Reduce the heat and put the tomatoes in the water for 2-3 minutes. Drain the water and let the tomatoes cool slightly. Skin the tomatoes and dice them finely; alternatively, use blender to make a smooth puree. Set aside.

    2. Melt the butter in a medium size saucepan over low-medium heat.

    3. Add the onions and cook for few minutes until onions are soft.

    4. Add the flour and stir for 1-2 more minutes.

    5. Add the tomato paste and stir for another minute or two.

    6. Add the tomato, beef broth and salt. Increase the heat and bring to boil.

    7. Puree

    8. Reduce the heat to low, cover and continue to simmer for another 30 minutes or so.

    9. Add black pepper and adjust the seasoning (salt and pepper) according to your taste.

    10. Pour the soup in serving bowls, stir in basil and serve

    ~

    I am off to cut my husbands hair, which managed to grow Rapunzel lengths while he was away!

    Do try this recipe it was a great hit!