• The Kitchen: Pantry

    Saturday, March 29, 2014


     
    ~

    With the official start to Spring, I hope each of you are feeling some vim to lighten up and clean out stagnant parts of your home.

     Though spring weather has not arrived in our part of the world, as a family we spent spring break on the west coast of Canada, surrounded by sea and spring blossoms, it was hard coming home to a few feet of snow and ice-icicles hanging from our eves yet a week of west-coast spring did infuse beauty and eagerness for this next season in my heart and home.

    This week I cleaned and brightened up our school room, to help give a fresh start to our last term in school, Roger brought home daffodils to cheer up the school room which helps me look forward to heading back to school and teaching, we have ten weeks of planned schooling left, which is exactly how many weeks until my wee one is due to be born!

    Spring has a way with me, getting me focused to wrap up the projects of winter, like school, pregnancy and extra house work, so as to give way to the few months of beautiful drawn out summer days.

    And for a little show of my own 'spring' in my home my recently updated, cleaned out, organized pantry!

     I have a closet pantry, it is a lovely addition to my kitchen. Because it is on the smaller side I need to use this space intently and keep it organized or else it will not work for my size family!

    I do have extra shelves in our basement to hold the bulk of our food that we purchase in large quantities. I employ my Mothers pantry organization method. I store all the bulk foods down stairs and refill jars on the main floor as needed, this also works for canned goods, I just keep a can/jar or two upstairs and restocking the pantry shelves as needed. The light, bright organized and functional pantry this has become is truly a time saver and blessing to me and my busy household.
    ~
     
     
    ~
    On the door of the pantry I have wire shelving, this holds all the quart size canning jars, in the jars I have dry goods that are least used in my kitchen. On the bottom shelf I have our families water bottles which is the only 'cups' we use during the day (saves time and dishes) it is at kid level and each child can hydrate as needed.
    ~
     

    ~
    I will explain each shelf of the pantry from top to bottom.
    The top shelf is host to the treats! Candy, cookies, wine...
    ~

    ~
    Second to top shelf is the snacks. One bin has the chips and crackers. The other bin has the snacks, we mostly use these for food in the car, granola bars, fruit purees, all other 'snackies'. I also keep my vintage cookie tin on this shelf, I will store any home backed cookies or muffins that I have made for the week.
    ~
     
     
    ~
    Third shelf, stores my largest jars, they are gallon size pickle jars. In these I store the dry goods we use most frequently. Rice, sugar, oats, flour and my pregnancy tea. On this shelf I have a basket for my special foods.
    ~
     


    ~
    Next shelf down has two-gallon jars, there are fourteen jars, two lines of seven jars each. Each jar has more dried goods, nuts, noodles, and all the in-betweens.
    ~
     
    ~
    Last shelf, has the canned goods, the oils, my protein and any bottles.
    ~

     
    ~
    On the floor of the pantry I have three baskets, one for cereal, another for root vegetables, and another for fruits.
    ~

     
    ~
    This is my pantry!

    The most important things for me is that all my food is visible and accessible.    

    Here is the list of where I bought my pantry organization supplies.

    Large white baskets are from IKEA

    Black wire baskets are bought at Winners

    Large pickle jars have been collected from thrift shops.

    Two-liter jars (Bernard Brand) are from Canadian Tire

    One-liter jars (Bernard Brand) from Canadian Tire

    White canning jar lids (Bernard Brand) Canadian Tire

    Chalk labels and Green Labels (both Martha Stewart Brand) are purchased from Staples

    The little chalk labels I have hanging on the white baskets these were purchased at Michaels.

    ~